Freiburg hotel Breisgau Munster Germany Kaiserstuhl warmest climate road map wedding knight's meal medieval feast old castle cable railway cablecar hotels Breisach city arms emblem city hall hill Schwabentor presentation restaurant south department store town Schauinsland mountain mountains arrangement sights worth seeing meeting rooms historical century celebration chimney fortress explosion history
781-hors Castle hotel Black Forest Germany between Offenburg, Freudenstadt, Freiburg in the Breisgau, Titisee-Neustadt and Donaueschingen, Baden-Wurttemberg south west southwest

Freiburg in the Breisgau, south Black Forest southern Black Forest

The town Freiburg in the Breisgau
The Black Forest metropolis Freiburg in the Breisgau (about 48 km south west from the 781-hors castle hotel Black Forest) is always worth a visit. The town, which lies on western border of the souther Black Forest, has about 200,000 residents today. In the summer months, life pulsates on the streets and on the places. There are lots of historical sacral buildings and profane buildings to see during a ramble. During a round trip through the old town, you should watch where you set your foot, because in the streets and alleys of the old town there are a lot of rills which flow through it. They are a trademark of Freiburg in the Breisgau, just like the felicitous connection of the greens and large city flair. From the castle hill (455 meters above sea level) you can enjoy beautiful view over the rooves of the town, where the tower of the Freiburg Munster rises. It's easy to reach on foot in a couple of minutes from the Schwabentor or from the town garden. Besides, a cable railway also takes you there. The Hausberg hill (called Schauinsland, about 1284 meters high) of Freiburg in the Breisgau is also reachable from a cablecar.

Towards the end of the 11th century, the men of Zahringen built a castle on the castle hill, where no settlement developed. They had been made to the town in 1120. In the first half of the 15th century, Freiburg in the Breisgau was also an Imperial town  for a short time. The university, which was built in 1457, counts to one of the oldest in Germany. During the 30-year-war (1618 to 1648), Freiburg in the Breisgau suffered numerous sieges, strong destructions and a hard decimation of the population. The hardest destructions and changes which the town in the south Black Forest experienced were in 1677 after the takings, caused by troops of the sun king Ludwig XIV. Among other things, the town walls were demolished and the town was surrounded by a fortress ring with eight bastions, which were also grinded in 1745. After the lordship over Freiburg in the Breisgau had changed several times between the French and the Habsburg in the 17th and 18th century, the town came to the grand duke of Baden possession in 1805. Today, Freiburg in the Breisgau is a large town stamped with economical wealth and university town with over 30,000 students.

The following descriptions of sightseeings of Freiburg in the Breisgau are only an assortment. Of course there is a lot more to discover.

Freiburg Munster
The Freiburg Munster "Unserer Lieben Frau" ("our loving woman") is an impressive construction. The building of the god's house started at about 1200. The intersection, the transverse house "wing" (Querhausflugel) and the lower parts of the so-called choir towers (rooster towers) stem from the first construction phase. In the second phase the extension construction of the nave (Langhaus) and the erection of the west tower, which was finished around 1320. From 1354 a reconstruction of the chor tower began, but was first finished in the early 16th century because of interruptions.
The visitor stands impressed in front of the west portal, which is full of figures. In the tympanum (gable decorated with skulptures and reliefs) the youth history of Jesus, the Passion and the Last Judgment (Judgement) are one upon the other, and you can see the display of the parables of the smart and foolish virgins on both sides. In the other figures, you can recognize the holy three kings, the Annunciation Day, synagogue and Ecclesia among other. The high rising west tower is crowned from a eight-sided helmet, whereby a rich tracery displays between the ribs.
The Freiburg Munster also displays its full magnificence in the inside. Worth seeing are the colorful window pictures, the triumphal arch painting with the presentation of the crowning of Mariens, the choir with the chapel wreath, the elevated altar from the early 16th century and the lectern from the same time. Numerous picture works, among these the grave memorial of the Zahring duke Berthold V. on the wall of the south side boat with larger than life figure in knight's suit of armor also deserve attention.

Historical department store
Opposite of the Freiburg Munster is the historical department store, first mentioned in 1378. Two trapping corner bays, which are peaked and crowned with crabs, decorated with brick tower helmets rise above the four arcades which are opened towards the ground floor to the Munster place. They are the main trademark of the building. Pictures are mounted between the threepart crossbar windows in the upper floor. They show personalities from the house Habsburg, Emperor Maximilian I., his son Philipp I. as well as his sons Emperor Karl V. and archduke Ferdinand I.
The coat of arms also remind of the time, as Freiburg in the Breisgau belonged to the Habsburg Austria. The mighty, two-floored roof area is bordered by the stair gables. Glorious portals and windows decorate the rear panel of the arcade hall in the ground floor, which opens in big arches towards the yard. The so-called Emperor hall is especially pointed out It's dominated with a chimney decorated with a coat of arms and is in the inner rooms of the historical department store.

Old city hall
The old city hall in Freiburg in the Breisgau arised from a combination of several old houses. In the ground floor, three portrals are opened, whereby the town coat of arms and the buckler of Austria, held by two lions can be seen. The gable decorates further coat of arms, like those from Austria and Freiburg in the Breisgau, from lower Austria and upper Alsace.
You can finally recognize the double eagle of the holy roman imperium with the coat of arms from Hungary and Bohmen above the clock. The gable is crowned from a wrought-iron bell holder. On the inside, the big entrance hall deserves special attention. The town sights of Freiburg in the Breisgau attract views from three different epochs.

Friedrich construction (Friedrichsbau)
The Friedrichsbau (Friedrich construction) designed with its style of the new renaissance facades stands out from its neighbored buildings in the Kaiser-Joseph-Strasse. It's named after the grand duke Friedrich I. It was supposed to have become its name upon wish of the first tenant. The Friedrichsbau was built in the beginning of the 20th century, bigger reconstruction measures were done between 1987 and 1989.
In the course of its history, the Friedrichsbau practiced as several functions. It housed among others a coffee house, stores, movies, a dancing school and so on. After the rebuilding in the 1980s, there's now a hall in the inside, which can hold up to 350 people, meeting rooms, a bistro and a store.

Gates – Martinstor, Schwabentor, Breisach Tor
Two gates are still maintained from the first medieval city-wall from Freiburg in the Breisgau. The oldest of the two is the Martinstor in the Kaiser-Joseph-Strasse from the early 13th century. The gate tower was greatly increased towards the beginning of the 20th century. Today it has a height of 60 m (originally 22 m) and a width of 11 meters. The gate tower is held by a architrave block story with a round arched gate passage. The upper floor is surrounded by four bay towers with peaked helmets and a tin wreath. Towards the top it's closed by a steep roof.
The second maintained gate of the first medieval city-wall is the Schwabentor. The exact origin is not know. But it should have been built in about the middle of the 13th century. In the 16th century it was extended through an attached stair tower, which is decorated with the coat of arms from Freiburg in the Breisgau and Austria. Just like the Martinstor, the Schwabentor became extended in the beginning of the 20th century and has the double height of the original height. Since 1954 it's crowned from a baroque roof pyramid.
The Breisach Gate is the only one from the time of the french baroque fortress area, even though it's strongly changed in the construction. After the explosion of the fortress in the year 1745, it was used as a representative town entrance. In the second half of the 19th century, it was increased in height by one floor and the "Mittelrisalit" (middle projection on the wall) is crowned by a triangle gable. In 1903 the east side wing became victim of the change of the street guidance. After hard destructions in the second World War, the Breisach Gate was rebuilt in 1950 / 1951 in the form of the late 19th century. Today it houses different kinds of urban administrative offices.

Kaiserstuhl near Breisach on the Rhine river – Upper Rhine
The so-called Kaiserstuhl, a small volcano hill, which has formed the unique culture landscape, rises between Freiburg in the Breisgau and the Rhine river valley on the upper Rhine river. The ideal climate (warmest climate in Germany) has the requirement that about one third of the Baden wines grow her. The most significant vine dresser cellar in Europe is in Breisach on the Rhine river in the district Breisach-Hochschwarzwald, on the foot of the Kaiserstuhl. Worth seeing is also the Munster St. Stephan.

781-hors castle hotel Black Forest, Germany, German clock street, cuckoo clocks companies sightseeings clock manufactory museums

Furnishing premises hotel room sizes meeting rooms castle cellar rock grotto castle cellar rock grotto

Black forest hotels hotel rooms room rates

Restaurant menu buffet lunch wedding planner party bar brunch breakfast idea healthy italian plan vegetarian seafood food grand dinner

Public knight's meal / medieval feast every month, for single people, small and large groups

Knight's meal / medieval feast for groups from 20 to 60 people in the castle reeve cellar (Burgvogtskeller), from 61 to 150 people in the Spiegelsaal (mirror room), from 80 to 200 people in the rock grotto

Christmas in Germany trips German Christmas holiday vacation package packages

New Year's Eve party celebration vacation package favor event dance dinner travel firework picture

Wedding planning party idea reception planner ceremony picture destination location package limousine services

Meeting hotel conference center rooms technic facility business seminar package

Wellness fitness solarium sauna beauty massage thermal spa cure

Hiking trail trip vacation hotel mountain biking tour Europe, swimming pool, horseback riding holidays in Germany, horse carriage trips, tennis court game lesson club tip

Golf club clubs courses sport hotel trips vacation package resort hotels course school lesson reservation discount card tip game in Germany

Ski resort trips areas vacation package accommodation area winter sport Germany Black Forest trip German holiday   Europe jumping

Medieval castle history

Black Forest Baar Ortenau Rottweil Emendingen district

Freiburg in the Breisgau hotel Germany

Titisee-Neustadt Germany lake

Road map of Germany no. 1 airport airports

Street map no. 2 Stuttgart Baden-Baden Karlsruhe Lake Constance Freiburg Germany Baden-Wurttemberg

Road map no. 3 Black Forest distances arrival

Road map no. 4 Freiburg Offenburg Freudenstadt Villingen-Schwenningen Titisee-Neustadt

Road map no. 5 Mid Black Forest arrival parking train station

Non-binding request for Black forest hotel rooms room rates

Online booking for Black forest hotel rooms room rates

All rights reserved. Subject to change. Without guarantee. Imprint
| Data protection
Status:  Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2022 - 5283